Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Bad Astronomy Acronyms (BAAs)

One of my personal favorite things about astronomy is that astronomers tend to come up with really bad acronyms. Such acronyms are like puns; I love to hate them. In fact, I collect them. My favorites are the so-called "stackronym"s, which are acronyms that contain other acronyms. So, this is going to be my collection of my personal favorite BAAs. I was inspired by the DOOFAAS (Dumb Or Overly Forced Astronomical Acronyms Site) run out of the Harvard Center for Astrophysics, which hasn't been updated in a while, so far as I can tell.

These are particular acronyms I've seen in department colloquia, at conferences, or on the web. I'd also like to give a special shout out to my buddy Alex Hagen (@astrophysicalex) who posts an acronym of the day from his daily browsing of the arXiv. This list shall be updated as new acronyms are collected. If you have any favorite bad acronyms that I don't have listed here (that you didn't just rip from DOOFAAS), you can tweet them at me @HeavyFe_H or post them in the comments.

ALFALFA - Arecibo Legacy Fast ALFA survey (ALFA is, itself, an acronym for one of Arecibo's instruments, the Arecibo L-band Feed Array. So, properly written, ALFALFA = Arecibo Legacy Fast Arecibo L-band Feed Array survey. I love "Arecibo" being in there twice. Thanks for the reminder, Gabo.)

BaLROG - Bars in Low Redshift Optical Galaxies project. Better yet, the observations were made with the SAURON spectrograph. You just can't make this shit up..

BANANA survey - Binaries Are Not Always Neatly Aligned. (I'm kinda sad it's not BANANAs. Thanks Ben!)

BATMAN - BAsic Transit Model cAlculatioN in python. Unofficially known as Bad-Ass Transit Model cAlculatioN in python. (Seriously, I think this wins. This is by far the biggest stretch for an acronym I have ever seen. I approve of the unofficial name though.)

The BEAST = The Bayesian Extinction And Stellar Tool (Thanks Lea!)

CLASSy - CARMA Large-Area Star-formation Survey (a stackronym. CARMA = Combined Array for Research in Millimeter-wave Astronomy) (Something just cracks me up about the lower case "y" tacked on to the end.)

DUSTiNGS - DUST in Nearby Galaxies with Spitzer (Oh for crying out loud, you literally just used a whole word as part of the acronym!)

ENiGMA - EvolutioN of Grains in the MAgellanic clouds (Where did the lowercase i even come from? That makes no sense!)

ESPRESSO - Echelle SPectrograph for Rocky Exoplanets and Stable Spectroscopic Observations (brought to my attention by Guðmundur Kári Steffánson at AstroBites)

G-CLEF - GMT-CfA Large Earth Finder (a stacronym. GMT = Giant Magellan Telescope, CfA = (Harvard Smithsonian) Center for Astrophysics)

GHOST - Gemini High-resolution Optical SpecTrograph (how the hell did they think to include the T?)

JUICE - JUpiter ICy moon Explorer (They really stretched that one)

KINGFISH - Key Insights on Nearby Galaxies: a Far-IR Survey with Herschel (Woooooooooooooow)

MAGIICAT - Magnesium II absorber-galaxy CATalog. (...it even has a mascot... Thanks Meredith!)

MINERVA - MINiature Exoplanet Radial Velocity Array (Thanks to Jason Wright and company for creating this one)

PINOCCHIO - PINpointing Orbit-Crossing Collapsed Hierarchical Objects (Holy cow... Thanks Nina!)

RUN-DMC - Radial velocity Using N-body Differential evolution markov chain Monte Carlo (Best part is that I know EXACTLY who to blame for this one; we once shared an office)

SLoWPoKES - Sloan Low-mass Wide Pairs of Kinematically Equivalent Stars (So far, this is my favorite)

SLUGGS - SAGES Legacy Unifying Globulars and GalaxieS survey (a stackronym. SAGES = Study of the Astrophysics of Globular clusters in Extragalactic Systems) (Also run out of UC Santa Cruz, whose mascot is the Banana Slug. Yes, really.)

SOAP - Spot Oscillation And Planet software (Bet that made it through their panel review squeaky clean!)

SUMaC - Swift UV survey of the Magellanic Clouds (Once again, I know the people responsible for this one.)

SURFS UP - Spitzer UltRa Faint SUrvey Program (They used a letter in the middle of a word. That's just not okay. Thanks Lea!)

VAMPIRES - Visible Aperture-Masking Polarimetric Interferometer for Resolving Exoplanetary Signatures (I hope the instrument sucks less than the name. Get it, because vampires suck your blood. And I hope the instrument... never mind.)

1 comment:

  1. Those are good. I'm continually amused enough at how the VLA = the Very Large Array. Mind numbingly accurate and meaningless at the same time.

    ReplyDelete